A game of two halves saw Cardiff fall to defeat on the road against Ipswich

Report by Matt Priest

A game of two halves saw Cardiff City Ladies FC fall to defeat on the road against Ipswich Town Women.

Two early goals from Ellie Sargent gave the Dragons a lead but a hattrick by Lucy O’Brien and an unfortunate own goal saw the Tractor girls win late on.

Ellie Sargent’s long range effort in the 8th minute helped Cardiff start the game on the front foot, pressing high up the pitch and preventing Ipswich from having any sustained period of attack. 

Sargent then found the back of the net, with a low driven effort, less than five minutes later after a set of fluid passes worked open the Ipswich defence. 

Cardiff came close to doubling their lead in the 26th minute but Tianna Teisar’s effort got called back for offside. 

Cardiff’s sustained attack finally provided them with their second of the game just before the half hour mark, after Jessie Taylor was played in behind the Ipswich defence and squared it to Sargent in front of an open net for her second of the game. 

A converted penalty from Lucy O’brien in the 39th minute allowed the hosts to pull one back before half time. 

As the first 45 minutes drew to a close, Cardiff looked close to creating another goal however a few good saves from Ipswich keeper Meollo prevented the Dragons from scoring a third before half time. 

Cardiff started the second half on the front foot, with a tantalising through-ball playing Teisar in but her shot was well saved by Meollo once more.  

Lenna Gunning-Williams broke through the Cardiff defence just before the hour mark but dragged her shot wide which was the first bit of trouble for the Cardiff defence since the start of the second half. 

Gunning-Williams broke through the defence once more in the 65th minute forcing a superb save from Laura O’Sullivan who managed to get her fingertips onto it and force the shot wide. 

Ipswich equalled the scoring in the 74th minute after a curling cross rebounded off of O’Sullivan’s hand and into the back of her net. 

O’Brien got her second of the game on the 80th minute mark and gave Ipswich the lead with a driven effort into the bottom corner. 

O’Brien got herself on the scoresheet for a third time in the 90th minute as a break in play saw her slot the ball past O’Sullivan. 

Caitlin Williams was shown a red card on the stroke of full time after the referee judged her to have taken down her opponent who was through on goal. 

A big thank you to all the fans who have made the journeys to support us away this season.