A spirited away performance was not enough for Cardiff as they fell to a 3-0 defeat against MK Dons at Stadium MK

Report by Matt Chedgzoy

A spirited away performance was not enough for Cardiff City Ladies as they fell to a 3-0 defeat against MK Dons Women at Stadium MK.

Fern Burrage-Male’s side made strong starts to both halves but found themselves two goals down at the interval, before a third Dons goal in the second half sealed the result.

The Dragons came into the game off the back of a closely fought 1-0 loss away to Oxford United Women last weekend and made the brighter start of the two teams this time around. Tia Asker first went close from short range before Tiana Teisar also saw two early efforts well-saved by Darcy Guy in the MK Dons goal.

Cardiff would ultimately come to rue these missed chances when the hosts took the lead on the half hour mark. Tricia Gould capitalised on a mis-hit clearance, firing past Laura O’Sullivan from inside the area to break the deadlock.

It went from bad to worse for the away side just minutes later when Jessie Taylor was adjudged to have fouled Nicola Puddick in the area. Cardiff protestations fell on deaf ears and Adekite Fatuga-Dada stepped up and dispatched the resulting penalty to double MK’s lead.

Cardiff began the second half much like they did the first – on the front foot. Perhaps the best chance of the game fell to Chloe Lloyd, who took up a good position in the area to meet Emily Poole’s cutback but was unable to keep her shot below the crossbar.

The home side began to grow back into the game thereafter and would all but seal the three points with 20 minutes remaining – Tricia Gould found space in behind the Cardiff backline and finished smartly into the far corner of O’Sullivan’s goal to make it 3-0.

The Dragons were reduced to ten players for the final ten minutes when Cerys Jones was sin-binned by the referee after being fouled. Cardiff were unable to create any clear-cut opportunities as MK looked to see out the game.

Fern Burrage-Male’s Dragons will look to respond to consecutive defeats when they travel to high-flying Hashtag United next Sunday (31st of March).